Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hospitality

for moths a gentle pinch of the wings
before release into open air

for bats an inverted bowl, cardboard slid beneath
& a careful opening to night sky

for spiders hours or days of spin & harvest
before a sweep out the door

for gnats on glass a vacuum cleaner bag
where they can feast on concentrated gleanings

for weevils in the grain bin courier delivery
to the compost pile

for ants a drop of clear poison
to carry back to the nest

for coqui frogs the cat's attention

for the cat a door ajar
so she can leave the way she came

2 comments:

  1. I love this poem! Very timely, as I am reading In the Palm of Your Hand: the poet's portable workshop in preparation for a writer-in-residency at a middle school next week. The anaphora (example is Whitman's Song) and I plan to have the students try this in conjunction with voicing their social and unique identities. I'm not exaggerating... I just finished the section on anaphora and went back to reading your work. Ah... I just love those connections! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, thank you

    I'm doing poem-a-day with a group online
    very inspiring

    today's prompt was "how to make house guests comfortable"

    & I love In the Palm of Your Hand

    ReplyDelete