Monday, October 10, 2011

No Frame Fits

I’m the kind of woman
who meets a man named John who
an hour later says,
“You’re not a normal woman,”
because I said,
“I don’t like talking on the phone.”
He meant it as a compliment.

When Miriam the well-endowed
begins to rant about designers
who put pockets
on woman’s blouses, I say, “Women without tits
like shirt pockets,” but she says
she’s talking about blouses,” & I say,
“I don’t own any blouses.”

When I ruin five more T-shirts
by spilling food down their fronts
I shop the Walmart boys department
for five more – size 14,
bright colors – but here in Cafayate
Walmart’s a 3-hour drive.
I’ll need a new source.

My husband Mike’s the vain one –
shaving, primping his hair, & trimming
his mustache for ten minutes
after I’ve walked past the mirror
without a glance, pulled on the clothes
from the top of the pile, & often enough forgotten
to comb my hair.

Remember Madame Curie
who failed to pamper her skin, Carolyn Chute
who writes novels in flannel shirts,
granny skirts, & shit-kicker boots,
Sinead O’Connor who plumped up &
grew hair – square or round –
no frame fits all women.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds just like you! Gotta love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. From this, your picture snaps into focus.
    It is wonderful!

    After my mailing debacle I'm surprised there's a Wal Mart that close to you.
    Cafayate--is that 4 syllables?: Cah Fay Ah Tay ?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete