Sunday, October 23, 2011

When I Need to Walk

when anger mutes me
when the mewing cat steps toward me
when people close to me start to fight
when ozone fills the humid air
when I know the slightest word would wound
when roadkill stains the side of the highway
when hunger drives me from my hotel
when I spot ripe blackberries along dusty gravel roads
when revenge schedules demolition derbies in my brain
when a body of water shimmers at a distance
when we've finished dinner & guests want to sit & talk
when seals surface only yards off the beach
when people call meetings to find consensus
when the owl's chiding tells me I'm too close to its underground nest
when I exit the jetway after long hours of flight
when a bridge crosses a river where snakes & turtles might sun
when someone turns on television
when a wild animal walks away across a field
when people talk about shopping
when dawn pales the bedroom light

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of this ...I might reorder them,
    into the 'nature' and 'anger' and 'people' groups, and maybe one more for a finale (something sexy) if it was mine...the last line hard, leave the lights on all night? just love the whole idea, however. Getting to know you poem. :-)

    ReplyDelete