Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Enjoying Argentina

This warm spring Argentina
morning I’m digging out stones,
pegging clean clothes to dry,
bicycling to town to say hello 
to Alejandro. He shows me our bed,
a palisade of wooden slats 
aslant against a fence at the end 
of his indoor-outdoor 
workshop. He tells me about 
the dictators, about Alfonsín & Menem, 
about years when fear, finance, 
& crime at the highest level produced 
generations without training, 
without apprenticeship to learn 
basic skills long known 
in Argentina: how to paint,
how to build a house, how
to plumb, how to work wood.

This is why the completion of our bed 
is late, this & the misfortune 
that the tree trunk Alejandro
chose did not mill into good planks, 
so he lost time finding another.

I am not here to complain
that the bed is late, I am here 
to visit Alejandro, to smell 
the wood, to admire the squares 
soon to become our mesas de luz 
(bedside tables), to listen
to Alejandro’s stories about
Argentina, to learn two
new words, oficio (craft)
hundir (to sink), what our shower 
floor must do, because the craft 
of slanting shower tile to the drain
seems to be one of those lost 
skills, the cost of hard years 
in my new country of Argentina.

1 comment:

  1. loving these poems; you're making me enjoy Argentina too! This one's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete