Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Poem I Wrote Without Thinking About a Chicken

A hickey.
I had one once, maybe twice,
mostly stupid I thought,
maybe a girl would think a life without a single hickey
wasn't worth living.
Probably I thought that.
Everyday I get at least one headache
& one stomachache.
Life didn't used to be like this.
We raised ducks
in Hawaii. A baby duck, better yet
three or four of them
could keep your mind off most everything.
Sand, for example, which drifts
through the window & door frames
until you'd think we lived in a sandbox.
About time to buy some bright-colored 
sandcastle molds, not that we ever used
more than our hands. Palms
can shove a lot of sand into a castle wall.
I don't remember playing much 
with my children 
(rhymes with?)
which is when my pen ran out of ink
which is not to say I didn't
only that I don't remember.
I tried to lie down after lunch
but my stomach hurt
from eating what I can't even think about.
Sadly, turkey
is scheduled for Thursday
when I'd hoped to skip it entirely
though I love roast turkey
in moderation
without company or mashed potatoes or pie.
Dumplings, think gnocchi, 
avocado & rice crackers,
dogs that don't dog
but with the boat docked it hardly matters.
Kiwis, persimmons, Savoy cabbage, beet leaves.
Thorn trees. Why can Mike
lie down & be asleep in minutes
while I regret eating at all
ever. Smoking
might be a better idea
if I were R2D2 or a zombie.
Where did the whole zombie thing come from
anyway? Just when I thought
(remember? thinking is dangerous)
there'd be no wind today
it's blowing like stink again
like when it's rotten.
Nothing worse than a rotten . . . Here comes 
a pickup,
more workers I suppose. More sand
in the house. Piss on the toilet seat.
A boat or a tent
sounds good. Half & half.
Eggs – oops! – & cauliflower for breakfast.
Now the new ink cartridge refuses to flow.
Fine. 
That must mean my poem's done.

Rhea americana, Greater Rhea, Ñandú

Penelope obscura, Dusky-legged Guan, Pava de Monte Común

1 comment:

  1. you are a wild wonderful creature! Bright-colored sandcastle molds even when we don't use them...

    ReplyDelete