Sunday, November 20, 2011

Practicing for Thanksgiving or

The Bird in the Oven at Dawn 

whatever dreams I dreamed last night
replay as stills, my body waiting for red-lit 4
to flip to 5, awareness to shift from black to light

I spark the gas, its whoosh (& whoosh
& whoosh) repeats from left to right, I slit
the chicken’s market bag, upend the bird to wash

that blurred dream I dreamed last night
won't clear – straight back, forced march
futile measures, an ever strengthening lethal fight

20 minutes of roast, I rotate my bird 
from breast to back, expose the feathered stubs 
on wings & headless neck, inhale what can’t be heard

my chicken’s last cry, my feats
each night in other worlds, helpless quests
I try but never win, the hand-to-hand defeats

golding breast, skin on a drumstick 
torn from turning, where are those dreams
of spreading my arms, rising from grass & rock

to purest sky, swoop & dive, dove
or eagle, breeze or endless wheeling gyre, 
when will I soar beyond the boot, the glove 

& now the hour's run, my plump bird’s
brown, the oven snuffed, day risen, pole beans
rinsed & ready to snap, maledictions stayed with words


when will I soar

No comments:

Post a Comment