Thursday, November 17, 2011

Aubade

Waking to pale light from sweat 
above & below in sheets like a swamp, 
my body damp as if swimming 
& streaked with salt, I kick the covers back
to cool, to dry, to wonder why
we stayed in there starving 
for days, so many of us, including 
the toddler with her artificial arms, 
my brother loading his truck with engines 
darkened by grease, my partner
filling a larger truck with everything
we owned: that was the second
after the concert hall dream, 
the black-on-white sketch of the mafia don
portrayed in first position on stage 
as if I only, seated close to the orchestra 
performing my minor role, 
knew how he’d stolen 
my real life where the tarantula 
sleeps on the opuntia, where 
hummingbirds suckle at nectar- 
brimming yellow flowers, 
where swallows swoop into Cafayate 
on the 16th of November.

Grammastola sp.?

1 comment: